As a classroom teacher, I believe the passing rate is being lowered
because the tests are way too difficult. Up until this year I taught 7th
grade mathematics.  The seventh grade math test for Ohio was, in my
opinion, way beyond the level of mathematical understanding appropriate
for a 12/13 year old. I wish the states would look at the appropriateness
of questions and the ability levels of average students, rather than lower
the passing rates.

School Library Media & Network Communications <LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
writes:
>>Date:    Sat, 2 Dec 2006 10:57:54 -0500
>>From:    Sharon Hamer <shamer@HYDE.EDU>
>>Subject: NO child left behind
>>
>>There was an article in the New York Times magazine section last Sunday =
>>(11/26) by Paul Tough called "What it takes to make a student". I urge =
>>all of you to read that (its available through many magazine databases).
>>
>>I had no idea about one aspect of No Child. States are allowed to set =
>>the standards for what proficient means in the standardized state =
>>testing, and they are lowering those standards drastically in order to =
>>have more students qualify as proficient. Here is a quote:
>>
>>"The most malignant element of the original law was that it required all
>=
>>states to achieve proficiency but then allowed each state to define =
>>proficiency for itself. It took state governments a couple of years to =
>>realize just what that meant, but now they have caught on--and many of =
>>them are engaged in an ignoble competition to see which state can demand
>=
>>the least of its students. At the head of this pack right now is =
>>Mississippi, which has declared 89 percent of its fourth-grade students =
>>to be proficient readers, the highest percentage, while in fact, the =
>>National Assessment of Educational Progress shows that only 18 percent =
>>of Mississippi fourth graders know how to read at an appropriate =
>>level--the second lowest score of any state. In the past year, Arizona, =
>>Maryland, Ohio, North Dakota, and Idaho all followed Mississippi's lead =
>>and slashed their standards to label uneducated students educated."
>>
>>You don't need to respond to me, but please make this known in your =
>>communities.
>>
>>Sharon Hamer
>>Librarian
>>Hyde School
>>Woodstock, Ct. 06281
>>860-963-4726

Mr. J. Vernacotola
Seventh Grade Teacher
Highland Middle School
jvernacotola@barberton.summit.k12.oh.us

“The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who
can't read.” -- Mark Twain

"Whatever the cost of our libraries, the price is cheap compared to that
of an ignorant nation." -- Walter Cronkite