Thank you to everyone for such great advise - MANY requests for a HIT. I will NEVER
these in devising a system all my own. - Stacy

This was posted on LM_NET in November.
Date:    Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:47:40 -0500
From:    nicole sette <nsette@ESSEXTECH.ORG>
Subject: HIT: LOC Marc records

Here is the procedure to download LOC marc records. Thanks to Robert Joyce for
sending them on so quickly.

IMPORTING MARC RECORDS FROM LIBRARY OF CONGRSS ON-LINE CATALOG.

Go to: Programs, accessories, open note pad , then minimize it.

Go to: Library of Congress on line catalog, Basic search

            Search, select desired title, click on Full Record

            Scroll to bottom of record

            Click MARC FORMAT (save only)

            Click print or save search results

            Right click on page and SELECT ALL

            Right click on page and COPY

Maximize Notepad

            Right click and PASTE

Minimize notepad, return to LOC. (Go back on browser)

            Search for next record, repeat procedure.   When you have several
records ( I have saved as many as 12 at a time) Maximize notepad

            SAVE file as marc or whatever.

ATHENA   Import marc records.  Follow normal procedures be sure to identify the
saved file.  You will have to manually add call number, copy information to each
record.

I received this information a couple of years ago from the listserve.  Hope
this helps.

Information to download MARC redords is down below.

To Download Multiple Records from the Library of Congress at One Time
Posted by Kerry Kline on follett-talk, 3/7/01

1.  Start your web browser
2.  Start Notepad (for Windows users) or SimpleText (for Mac users)
3. Go to the Library of Congress Catalog Site: http://catalog.loc.gov
4.  Find the item you are cataloging
5.  Scroll to bottom of page
6.  Click to put a dot in front of MARC (save only)
7.  Click the print or save results button
8.  Click Edit
9.  Choose Select All
10.  Click Edit
11.   Choose Copy
12.  Switch to Notepad or SimpleText
13.  Click Edit
14.  Choose Paste
15.  Switch back to the web browser
16.  Click the Back button
17.  Click the New Search at the bottom of the page
18.  Repeat Steps 4-17 for each item to be cataloged
19.  When done with books, exit web browser
20.  Put a diskette in the floppy drive if you want to save the records to
disk.
21.  Switch to Notepad or SimpleText
22.  Click on File
23.  Choose Save as
24.  Change type to All files
25.  Choose where you want to save the file
26.  Enter a filename with the extension .001 (Microlif.001, records.001,
mar701.001, or…) 27.  Click Save
28.  Exit Notepad or SimpleText
28.  Start the Cataloging module
29.  Click on File
30.  Choose Import Marc 21/852 holdings format
31.   Click the Import button
32.   Find the file and click the Open button…

It’s not as complicated as it sounds!

----------

For Marc records from other sources:
I use the following:
Access Pensylvania http://205.247.101.11/search~S1
Michigan's MELCAT http://elibrary.mel.org/search
and OHIOLINK http://www.ohiolink.edu/
for Religious books http://clicnet.clic.edu/

The download is easy--once you've searched for and found an individual
record, you see a button at the top of the screen that says "Save Records"
or "Export". You can begin another title search with the button "Another
Search". After you have collectively saved as many records as you want,
you then click on the button that says "View Saved" that shows after saving
a record.

For Follett format, move the bullitt to MARC format and the location bullit
to "Local disk".
Click "Submit". Then you are asked for a save location and filename. I
always save to a folder I created called "MARC records", just overwriting my
last download, with the filename "mel.txt" (mel) or "ohio.txt" (ohio) or
just "export.txt".

In Cataloging you choose File-->Import MARC 21/852 holdings
format-->Import-->path to desktop and file. Follett defaults to look for a
microlif file, not a .txt, so you have to tell it to look for "all files"
not just "data files".

Once the records are in you can add the copy info for each.

--------

Videos are much harder to find, especially if they are new or very old.  I
do have some sites that I use, but I don't always find what I need and then
I have to make up the record as best as I can.

The following sites you can try in addition to MEL, OHIO or ACCESS:
PBS http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/library/marc_archive.shtm
Discovery http://discoveryschool.booksys.com/index.html
and
http://shopping.discovery.com/stores/servlet/MarcRecords?catalogId=10003&storeId=10003&langId=-1
Oaister http://oaister.umdl.umich.edu/o/oaister/
Ket School video http://www.ket.org/itvvideos/search.htm
Amicus http://amicus.nlc-bnc.ca/aaweb/amilogine.htm
LOC (basic search, then set search limits to only - moving image under
"type") http://catalog.loc.gov/

-----------

I just recreated our handout as to how to do this.  I've copied and pasted it
below.  This one is for magazines but you can easily use it to import records for
books.  Hope it helps!

Copy Cataloging Magazines using the Library of Congress Catalog

To save magazine catalog records from the Library of Congress Online Catalog in
Microlif Format.

1.      Start your web browser
2.      Start notepad
3.      Go to the Library of Congress Catalog site (http://catalog.loc.gov/).
4.      Find the magazine or book to be cataloged
a.      Try an ISSN search first to find the magazine.  If that doesn’t work, try a
title search.
5.      Click on the title of the magazine.
6.      Scroll to the bottom of the page
7.      Select Download Format – MARC (non-Unicode/MARC-8)
8.      Click the Press to SAVE or PRINT button
9.      Click Edit
10.     Choose Select all
11.     Click Edit
12.     Choose Copy
13.     Switch to Notepad
14.     Click Edit
15.     Choose Paste
16.     Switch back to the Web Browser
17.     Click New Search
18.     Repeat Steps 4-17 for each magazine to be catalogued.
19.     When done with the magazines, exit Web Browser.
20.     Save Notepad file as microlif.001 .  Change file type to All Files.
21.     Exit Notepad.
22.     Open Follett Cataloging
23.     Click on File ? Import MARC 21/852 Holdings Format
24.     Leave Radio buttons checked and click on Import button.
25.     Find file to import (microlif.001) and click on Open.
26.     Do you to import another file with the same options?  Click on No.
27.     Click on Close.
28.     You will be presented with an exception report since there is no current
barcode for the new item.  You do not need to view it.  Click on Yes to delete the
exception report.
29.     Check to make sure your item was imported by doing a title search in our
catalog.

----------------

Importing records is really easy. Go into the cataloging application and click file
and then import marc/821 holdings format. Another screen will pop up and hit
import. Then you will be asked to find the file where the records are saved and
then hit open. You also may have to change the file type from data files to all
files. Hope this helps.

---------------

I import records from LOC frequently.  I import into MarcMagician though to add
holdings info and print lables before bringing them into Follett. so I don't know
if this will help.  I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing with Follett.

I have a stack of books (say from the bookfair).  I look up records from LOC, save
the record as a text file in a folder.  After I have all of the records, I click on
import.  I then navigate to the folder and hold down the control key while clicking
on the titles.  Once all are highlighted, I click ok.

Note: sometimes you can use the shift key and click on the 1st and last titles, but
that only works if you have the "right" number of titles -- I can' t recall, but I
think it must be even.