Diane,

I agree with you that Wikipedia should not be blocked (at the school I
mentioned in my last post, it was initially blocked by a filter).
However, in a school where there is no librarian to push information
literacy (in spite of information literacy standards) and where no
evaluation is taking place, this seems to me to be a better option for a
school than allowing access to it.

There are no librarians in that school district.  I'm not there to teach
students and faculty about the problems with Wikipedia.  I'm not there
to encourage them to double-check the information in another source.  I
left because the district is only required to hire aides by the state of
Colorado, so that's what they are doing, and in spite of my master's
degree, I was not encouraged/allowed to pursue certification through
alternative licensing.  There is no formal or informal instruction in
research skills.  Students will still use it at home, but the fact that
it is blocked at school might give them an idea that there's a reason
for it.  They might question the tech director about *why* it is
blocked, and they will learn something that way.

Judy Crook, Librarian
Contract part-time reference librarian
Rifle, Colorado
ESL teacher education student