I found this website to be helpful when I was weighing options for an
online degree:
http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/elearning/tables/edu_reg.htm

The U S News site in general can be very helpful.  However, I'm sure
it's a bit dated - it doesn't include the program I finally decided to
go with at Rutgers University, which is only in its first year.  He may
want to check out Rutgers' program.  The only limitation on those out of
state is to be able to attend a three day orientation and one day in
person each following year - three times total in three years.

If he has questions about Rutgers, you can refer him to me.

I got my MLS from the LEEP program at the University of Illinois at

Urbana-Champaign (UIUC).  It's a very good program, and the LIS school

at UIUC is very highly rated--co-No. 1, tied with North Carolina--at

least according to the publicity they put out.  In general, I liked the

program, but it is not always geared toward school librarians.  One

course that I had to take on-campus was specifically aimed at school

librarians. It was a great course and will be offered online in the next

academic year.

The LEEP program has both synchronous and asynchronous elements.  For

each class, there is a weekly meeting time, during which the teacher

will conduct class online.  There are also bulletin boards for weekly

postings and reflections, depending on how the teacher runs the class.

There is also a required once a semester trip to Champaign, where the

whole class meets together in person.  LEEP students from all over the

world converge on UIUC that weekend for their various classes.  There is

also a required intro class that is taught on campus for 10 days in the

summer.  This is session is usually referred to as "boot camp" because

it crams  a full semester (or thereabouts) into those ten days.

Overall, I thought the LEEP program was very good.  Not every class

worked, but you can say that about on-campus classes as well.

One of my classmates, Noelle Harling, lives in the Portland area.  She

graduated recently and has a job as a science librarian (I think) in

Portland.

You can also check out the LEEP website:

http://www.lis.uiuc.edu/programs/leep/

I hope this was helpful.  Let me know if you need any more info.

We may not be suitable because we're an Aussie university, but all our
courses are available online, P/T and F/T. You can find out about them
at the folowing links

Graduate Certificate of Information Services
http://www.scis.ecu.edu.au/future/courses/Graduate/coursework/gc_is.aspx

Graduate Diploma of Science (Information Services)
http://www.scis.ecu.edu.au/future/courses/Graduate/coursework/gd_is.aspx

Master of Information Services
http://www.scis.ecu.edu.au/future/courses/Graduate/coursework/m_is.aspx