Many, many thanks to Patti Ashley, Debbie Thompson, and Joanna Fountain who helped
me with my dilemma. Original question & answers received follow.

"Dear LM_Netters,

We've been receiving the Biography Today general series for a couple of years now &
cataloging them as individual books as they come in.  This gives us a chance to
enter the ISBN number & put the names of all the people profiled in the Content
note.

We just received 10 volumes of the Biography Today Scientists & Inventors series,
though, in one fell swoop, & I began cataloging it as a series.  However, this
leaves me no obvious place to include each volume's ISBN, which may not be too
important, or the names of the people included in each volume, which, I think, is
very important.  There may be room to include all their last names in the series
content note, but, surely, if we continue to add to the number of volumes, we will
run out of room for all the names.

Any guidance would be very welcome."

------------------------------------

"Go to http://www.usd259.com/library/

Click on WEBCAT-Home

Click on WEBCAT

Click on Login

Type in Biography Today

You'll be able to see how we catalog the title."

------------------------------------

"I add them as a 600 Personal subject heading for each individual name.  Then you
don't have to worry about running out of room (at least on Athena, I haven't ever
hit a maximum nimber of subject headings).  And it makes it easier for your
students to find them."

------------------------------------

"I looked at the LC catalog and the publisher's web site to see what more
I could find out.  What most caught my attention is the fact that while
the publisher calls this a series (implying an end to it after a certain
number of titles) the LC catalog has created a serial record for it
(implying that the publication will be issued with the same title over
an unpredictable number of issues).  I truly can't tell from the
information I have whether this is truly a serial and not a series.  But
I do think - from the level of access that you want to provide (which is
excellent, by the way), it might be best to continue to make a separate
record for each book (whether it's a series or a serial) and treat each
one as you have in the past.  This will provide for the very best usage
in the library, which is surely what is needed to get your money's worth
from collected works of biography.

If you do this, you can continue to use the same kind of call numbers
that you have in the past, working the Cutters and suffixes (if any) so
that they fall where you want them on the shelves in relation to the
rest of the collection."

That's what I'm going to do.

Thanks again!
Lindy

Lindy Hutchison, Librarian
Sweeny HS Library
Sweeny, TX
lhutchison@mail.sweeny.isd.esc4.net

"Let us put our minds together and see what life we will make for our children."
                                         --Tatanka Iotanka  (Sitting Bull)