Although I do agree with Krashen on the importance and impact of FVR, I am
not the boss. Yes, I'm in control of my library program but the
administration hasn't seen fit to allow me to to control the reading
curriculum or the school's daily schedule. If any of you have found a way to
do this, please let me know.
We had a faculty meeting today about the use of 22 minutes at the end of the
day. (We've been using it for tutoring/enrichment and a behavior reward
time.) Anyway, an unlikely science teacher spoke up about the lack of time
we allow students to actually read in school (BRAVO!) and how that has
severely affected the AR points earned. Teachers agreed that this has
occurred but evidently the administration doesn't seem to think that it is
important because there was no acknowledgement of the problem or that there
is a problem.  (Teacher dress code received more discussion than student
reading time.)
Trying to keep my principal informed, as soon as I read The Power of
Reading, I gave it to him. He kept it until I asked for it to be returned so
other teachers could read it. He did so without comment. I assume he didn't
read it.  I also bought Best Practices... and gave it to him first, assuming
that the principal as instructional leader should be the one to read it
first. Well, when I finally asked for it back, he can't find it. Now he will
have to pay for it so I can purchase another copy for the rest of the
faculty to read.

Feeling powerless outside of my library,

Sandra Carswell, Librarian
Lovett Ledger Intermediate
Copperas Cove, TX  76525

sandracarswell@hotmail.com