To Cathy and LM-Net Readers,

I love the Bluford series as well!  I hold an after-school Bluford Book Club each
month.  Last month, the book discussion was on the title "Blood is Thicker."  In
this book, a teen moves from California to Detroit to live with his aunt, uncle and
cousin.  The relationship with the cousin is not good.  I had the kids talk about
relatives they have issues with, create a card for their most difficult relative,
and of course, discuss the themes and lessons derived from the book.

Tomorrow our club meets and we'll discuss "The Bully."  What a read!  These books
hit home because they meet us where we live.

Although these aren't really romance books, there is a little bit of teen romance
woven in.  I have written to  Silhouette/Harlequin (and talked to them in person at
their ALA booth) about creating teen/school-friendly romance novels with minority
characters.  I told them about the Bluford series' popularity at my own school and
that they were missing the boat on creating a very marketable product.
Silhouette/Harlequin wrote back that they are creating graphic novels for the teen
market at this time.  They didn't really offer any indication they liked or would
consider my idea.

Oh well.  Hopefully Langan and Schraff (the Bluford authors) will put out some new
titles soon or other publishers will invest in the "minority teen romance" idea.

Karen Puckett
North Rowan Middle School
Spencer, NC
karenlouise@alltel.net