Thank you to all (too many to mention by name) who e-mailed me with support and
ideas on how to deal with the problems I had at the library I am in... makes me
feel like I am not alone in this - and I am glad to have suggestions on how to deal
with this. Some of the answers gave me great wording to use when confronting the
issue with TPTB, such as "the library is not an archive"- I also have been making
changes to how this should be run, my budget (saw it yesterday again, scary) needs,
new subscription and "house cleaning". I attached my original post below-- thanks
again!

--Kim Thatcher

Hello 'Netters,

I have a vent- I am in a 7-12 private school and it is my first year updating the
formerly defunct library. We have a huge section of plays, among other subjects. We
had most if our books in storage and it has been my glorious job since September of
heavily weeding the entire library's collection (since early 1900, no one weeded it
seems!); all with the new Headmaster's support, I must add.

I have been working so hard my hands ache and this is in additon to other duties -
I told the drama teacher to please go through the drama books that we have in
boxes, many are single plays, many are plays we did eons ago, some are classics. Do
they all need to be on the shelf in the library since we are struggling for space?
Problem is it seems that if it is a book therefore it needs to exist- in the
library (weeding? you would think that if I discarded a book I was committing a
felony)! And she said that "back when we had a library this whole area was
plays..." Now I can hardly believe that being that we teach every subject - why
can't I give the same attention to history science math and English- plus we have
foreign languages, ESL, biographies, short stories, Shakespeare (for a special
mini-course)... where are we supposed to put it all? Some are collections I want to
build up- some are areas that need attention and updating. What about recreational
reading as well?

While I know that we have a significant amount of books that are important in their
disciplines, how can I try to awaken the mindset of teachers that libraries (unless
special) are for everyone?

Help! I need support and advice!

Thanks,
Kim Thatcher

Director of Information Center (and p/t French teacher) The Knox School, 541 Long
Beach Rd. Saint James, NY 11780 www.knoxschool.org alt. e-mail:
kthatcher@knoxschool.org

"He who has a garden and a library, wants for nothing"- Cicero
"Dogs have masters, cats have staff"- Sneaky Pie Brown
"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity" --Unknown