Hello All!

I have to add my slant to this thread.  Last week, it was my library
assistant who was out for a couple of unanticipated days, and nobody who
had been in for her before was available......always something to look
forward to when you have scheduled classes and about 15 minutes to train
someone new!  If I'm out and someone who hasn't been in before is
subbing, my assistant keeps a close eye on them and doesn't let things
go astray.  Unfortunately, when I'm conducting classes I'm not able to
do likewise.

I knew within minutes of meeting the sub that library life wasn't going
to go well, and that we would be straightening out mistakes for weeks.
I explained our call numbers and took her around the room showing her
where things should go, but had a feeling she didn't "get" it.  She had
never heard of the Dewey Decimal System before, so evidently isn't a
library user, either.  However, life goes on and I had little time to do
more supervision than running back and forth between classes and desk to
try to prevent big circulation problems.

The next day, I heard that she had told the secretaries in one of the
offices that those "women in the library" were just making things
complicated for "job security", and that she "had put things in
alphabetical order the way they should be."  Sigh!  I think sometimes it
matters more who the substitute aide is than the substitute librarian!
Even my non-library-literate principal said I should specify that this
one should never sub in the library again.

Kathy Ofsharick

Blue Ridge Elem.

New Milford, PA   18834

ofsharickk@brsdl.org