Thank you, thank you, to all who responded to my query about good, short,
5th grade read alouds for Read Across America Day.  Here are your responses:

Shirley's Wonderful Baby by Valiska Gregory
Wild About Books by Judy Sierra
Weslandia by Paul Fleischman

Then, for older students there are great historicals:
Pink and Say by Polacco
Journey to Nowhere by Bunting
She's Wearing a Dead Bird on Her Head by Lasky
My Grandfather's Journey by Alan Say
Crazy Horse's Vision by Joseph Bruchac

I always amaze students with read alouds from historical picture books
because they never knew history could come in such a small package.  It also
invites some discussion.

A selection of poetry ALWAYS worked well for me -- Shel Silverstein, Jack
Prelutsky, or Jeff Moss seemed to be for sure winners but there are many
others that will be good too.

I just leave a crate of Dr. seuss books in the office.  These kids still
enjoy hearing the old favorites or else my readers just bring their own
book.

Anything by Patricia Polocco.

Thank you Mr. Falker, Polacco

You might try any of the Van Allsburg books, a story from Jane Yolen's Tales
for Strong Boys or Tales for Strong Girls, Polacco's Thank You Mr. Falkner,
or Lobel's Fables.

We've been reading picture books about the different states:
High as a Hawk (Colorado) T.A. Barron
I could do that (Wyoming) L. White
Ballot Box Battle (New Jersey) E. McCully
Mighty Jackie (Tennessee) M. Moss, Etc.
The kids learn about the states and the books are short enough to finish in
a short period.

Sincerely,

Andrea Koch
Librarian, French Road Elementary School
Rochester, New York
kochandrea@msn.com