Our school has started the last three years with a One School/One Book project.
Every teacher and student reads the same book at the same time, creating a
community of readers.  This year was especially successful, since kids had an
opportunity to read during our new schoolwide SSR time first thing every morning.
We used Spinelli's Crash, and everybody loved it!  (We've also used Out of the Dust
and Among the Hidden with less success.)  I need to come up with a new title for
next year so I can apply for a grant to buy 600 books.

I am looking for a book that will meet the following criteria:
*Appeals to middle school (grades 6-8) boys and girls
*Is easy enough to be accessible to all but our most struggling readers--at an
independent level
*Has not been around so long that everyone has read it, but is not so new that it's
only available in hardback
*Has not been made into a movie
*Will generate discussion

I will be sure to post a hit.  Thanks in advance.

--
Sandra Lingo, Librarian
Delhi Middle School