A big thank you to all who responded to my request for book titles.  I have just
copied & pasted the responses without editing.

Janet Kell

Librarian

Jackson High School

Massillon, OH 44646

jlk2jc@jackson.sparcc.org

Star Girl

 I find tree books very inspirational and uplifting.  Here are some of my favorites:

Thomas Pakenham.  Remarkable Trees of the World and Meetings With Remarkable Trees

James Linford.  The Tree

James Balog.  Tree

Son of the Mob ( and the sequel) Korman

Raising the Griffin (author is Melissa Wyatt)

Anything by Meg Cabot including the Mediator series

The Cannibals by Cynthia Grant

Fatansy titles by Atwater-Rhodes

Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen and other titles by Dyan Sheldon

Most of these titles are humorous with the exception of the Atwater Rhoades books.

For girls, Simon Pulse has a new series of romantic comedies which are

good escapist fun. Here are some of the titles:

 South Beach Sizzle by Suzanne Weyn & Diana Gonzalez

How Not to Spend Your Senior Year by Cameron Dokey

Royally Jacked by Niki Burnham

Ripped at the Seams by Nancy Krulik

Spin Control by Niki Burnham

Cupidity by Caroline Goode

She's Got the Beat by Nancy Krulik

Fantasy novels by Tamora Pierce are a good bet, too...

Song of the Lioness series

Protector of the Small series

Daughter of the Lioness series

Circle of Magic series

Circle Opens series

For good fun adventure/spy novels, the Alex Rider series by Anthony

Horowitz

Gary Paulsen has written some good humorous novels (Harris and Me is the

only one that comes to mind right now.)

M.T. Anderson's Burger Wuss is a favorite humor title for my boys, too.

Douglas Rees' Vampire High is pretty funny, too.

For historical fiction not too dreary, I'd suggest Jennifer Holm's Boston

Jane series.

What about Kenneth Oppel's YA titles - in particular his Silverwing
trilogy, and a couple of newer ones: Airborne and Skybreaker.  They are
adventure stories... while there is some hardship, I think the fun
adventure aspect overshadows any "negative" aspects.  Gordon Korman is
another author that you might want to consider.  His  Son of the Mob
series had me laughing out loud.

Try the Jan Karon titles in the Mitford series, soft, Christian, uplifting.  Also
the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich (one for the money, 11 on top etc).
Lots of laughter

The Confessions of an Almost-Movie Star

Princess Diaries

Homecoming

Dicey's Song

Tuesdays with Morrie

The O'Malley series, by Dee Henderson (and the prequel, Danger in the

Shadows)

The Redwall series (my son, 21 yo now, has loved this series since he was 14

and still rereads it from time to time.)

The Chronicles of Narnia

I would heartily recommend Gary Paulsen's Harris & Me  as well as How Angel
Petersen Got His Name.  Both books are funny and yet very real.

The Carl Hiaasen books, Flush and Hoot are good for younger young adult

kids.  Science fiction such as Orson Scott Card's series beginning with

Ender's game.  Jeanne Du Prau's books  City of Ember and its sequel

(can't remember the name) and Car Trouble.