Sorry all that this has taken me so long to post, but...you all know the excuses in
this field.

Anyway, my original question dealt with a question from some AR-supportive teachers
and why books of fairy tales and other imaginary subjects are located in the
"non-fiction" Dewey section.  The conflict occurred when our library had them in
the Dewey section but the AR quizzes listed the books as fiction.  Here are the

1.  Dewey actually assigned ALL books a number and included literature in the
800's, folk and fairy tales in the 300's and supernatural phenomena in the 000's
and 100's.  Librarians after Dewey were the ones to divide the collection into a
separate fiction section for the ease of patrons.

2.  There were several suggestions about explaining this to students and teachers.
I have been using the one for folk and fairy tales that these are stories that help
us learn rules for getting along with other people which is what the Social
Sciences are about.  And that no one is really sure if ESP and Bigfoot and the rest
are real or imaginary so they go in the Generalities and Psych and Philosophy
classes.  For older students I explain that there are some books that are in both
the Literature section and Fiction because they are not only good reads and put
where browsers will find them and also placed in the 800's for researchers and a
different type of browser.

If you would like to see all the responses, I have them roughly gathered into a
Word document (14 pages) which I have not yet had time to edit.

Let me know and I will send it to you personally as an attachment.

Thanks for all the wonderful responses and I apologize again for not doing this
sooner.

Deb Sherrod
Beaverton, Michigan