Wow, thanks! Got a full-scale response and lots of great explanations and
web links. The main gist is that there aren't enough 10-digit ISBN numbers
to cover the books that are be (and will be) published, so a 13-digit ISBN
will allow for more numerical combinations. A 13-digit code number will also
align better with EAN numbers (in the global trading world). For in-depth
information, go to the web links following. And thanks to all who responded!
Here's the original target:

Does anyone have a quick explanation of the difference between the 10 and 13
digit ISBN numbers now found in books? Just wondering what I've missed....
Will post a hit.

************************************

And the responses:

Check out the following link:
http://www.isbn.org/standards/home/isbn/transition.asp

************************************

The Library of Congress ran out of numbers to give all of the books in the
world...now they've added more numbers to newer books...

************************************
I don't have a clear-cut answer per se, but all ISBNs are switching over
to 13 digit on January 1, 2007. Here is a website that explains why and how:

http://www.bisg.org/isbn-13/index.html
************************************

We just received this information last week.  Perhaps the website will
assist.

Effective January 1, 2007, the length of the International Standard Book
Number (ISBN) will officially change from 10 to 13 digits. The ISBN provides
a standard way to identify books in global trade.

In 2007, the publishing industry will begin using 13-digit ISBNs, phasing
out the use of 10-digit ISBNs.
Many publishers have already started using both the 10-digit and the
13-digit on 2006 publications in order to ramp up for the official change on
January 1, 2007.

For more info on ISBN-13 visit the BISG website:
<http://www.bisg.org/isbn-13/index.html>
************************************

The rationale explained to me was that there are so many books being
published that the combination of numbers from the one grouping wasn't
enoug, so more digits were added.  Not being a math person I can't verify
the mathematics of this.
************************************

From now on, it will be 13 #'s
************************************

Try this PDF

Guidelines for the Implementation of 13-Digit ISBNs International ISBN
Agency Berlin 2004 First edition (revised October 2004)
<http://www.isbn-international.org/en/download/
implementation-guidelines-04.pdf>

A shorter URL for the above link:

<http://snipurl.com/i0fj>
************************************

they've run out of 10 number combinations
************************************
By 2007 all ISBNs will have 13 digits.  They were running out of
numbers.  Some new books now have both numbers in anticipation of the
impending change.  The new ISBN is known as ISBN 13 because it has 13
digits.
************************************

I received a letter from my software company last spring that said beginning
January 2007 all the ISBN will be 13 digits.
************************************
I'm sure others have answered, but this is the "new standard" for ISBNs.
Check with your online catalog / circulation system to see if you have the
latest downloads that will help to accomodate this new process.  Obviously,
we're running out of numbers and / or printing books much too
quickly......sort of makes the idea that technology will eliminate the need
for printed books sound silly, huh?

Here's a link to explain more:
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/iso/tc46sc9/isbn.htm

Again, thanks to all the responders!