Here's the information I had to go on. from my original query
:
" Friends told me about a movie they remember liking, but they have
very few details.  It's an older movie, starring someone like  Kirk
Douglas/Burt Lancaster/Gregory Peck, and the plot involves a search
for a golden bell.  At the end, the searchers enter a church and  see
a gold bell hanging in the center.  They think they have found  the
treasure, but then one of the protagonists swings the bell.  It turns  out
that this is just the clapper, and the entire dome of the church is
an enormous golden bell."

Thanks to Anne Paulsen of Lake Placid Elementary School (we're practically
neighbors) for the answer:  The Long Ships (1963), starring Richard  Widmark

Here's the Internet Movie Database summary, and the link to the  movie's
page is below:

Plot Summary for
The Long Ships (_1963_ (http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Years/1963) )

There is a legend about a great bell, called "The Mother of  Voices," made of
pure gold, three times the size of a man, made by monks many  years ago...
This is the story told in the marketplace by a Viking called Rolfe.  This
information finds its way to the Islamic ruler Aly Manush, who is obsessed  with
finding the bell. But Rolfe claims not to know where the bell is, and  escapes,
back to his homeland, to convince his father and brother to give him a  ship
and crew to replace the one he lost - or to help him steal the Death Ship  which
belongs to the king - because he does know where the bell is...
_http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057259/_ (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057259/)

Thanks, Anne!  And to everyone who expressed interest.
Steve

Permanence, perseverance and persistence in spite of all obstacles,
discouragements, and impossibilities: It is this, that in all things  distinguishes
the strong soul from the weak. Thomas Carlyle

Steve  Patnode, MLS
Grades 7-12 SLMS
Chazy Central Rural School
Chazy, NY  12921