Well, my 'retirement' won't be for long - I leave my school on Friday, and Monday
sees me on a plane
to New Zealand to speak at their annual conference and then the week after I come
back I begin
tutoring university teacher education students about literacy in the upper primary
(elementary)
which is basically 8-12 year olds who are independent readers of along the line but
need guidance to
go between and beyond the lines.

The first research paper is focused on the efficacy of reading methods past and
present, and I would
like to raise the issues of AR (and its cousins) and e-books with them as these are
both issues
these newest of teachers will face in their classrooms in the future. What I am
looking for are
authoritative, online research reports of the long-term impact (or otherwise) of AR
 (and cousins)
on reading development, particularly if it demonstrates development in critical
literacy.  I know I
have been an opponent of these sorts of reward schemes (and still am) but I know I
am professional
enough to present both points of view so others can make their own informed
decisions.

I would also like online literature about the impact, or potential impact, of
e-books on literacy
development.  For those more far-sighted than me (Friday afternoon is about my
limit right now) do
you see a time when the majority of books used in the classroom will be delivered
via a personal
screen?  What would be the pros and cons of this?

Are there any other up-and-coming methods that I could put in front of these
trainee teachers for
discussion and debate?  I am the only teacher-librarian amongst the tutors so I
will share what you
send with my colleagues - another notch in the profile of the profession.

I know many of you are on your break right now but there are many addicts like me
who need their
daily LM_NET fix, and if you could find the time to drop me a quick line I would be
grateful.
Because I will not be online after Friday until July 17 I will post a hit after
that.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian