Thanks to all for your responses.  This hit focuses on the use of SMARTboards
specifically for library instruction.  I have edited responses to make this hit a
little shorter.  I also included a few things from the archives (now that they are
back!) that deal with the use of this technology in the media center.

Anne Corsetti
Hommocks Middle School
Larchmont, NY
annecors@optonline.net

I use the SmartBoard to teach the OPAC, database use,
and Internet searching. Occasionally we do web
activities, such as Bemebo's Zoo, Animals Should
Definitely Not Borrow Library Books or author
websites.

So far I have mostly used mine to do lessons that involve websites on the
internet that I am using for teaching. The 4th and 5th graders loved to use it to
play games, such as I Spy on Scholastic.com.  The younger kids (Kinder and 1st)
enjoyed doing puzzles, games, etc.

I've recently had a smartboard installed and I just love it.  It is SO much easier
than having a crowd of kids elbowing each other for space around a computer screen.
 I use it for lots of things such as:

*how to use the online catalog    *how to use databases (like SIRS Discoverer and
Kids InfoBits)    *how to use search engines    *how to do internet research
(difference between .org, .edu, .com , keywords, etc)    *following webquests
*using pathfinders

I like to expose the kids to websites that go along with the stories we read - like
author websites .  I like to show websites that support the projects we do (like
Heifer International's Read to Feed website or United Through Reading) .  It's also
fun to present library Jeopardy style games on Powerpoint to work on library
skills.  Of course, it's also a great way to do PowerPoint presentations - you can
include hyperlinks to web content as well as Q & A formats, etc.

I use a smart board in the media center for instruction a lot when doing
orientation and research strategies.  I like it because you can face the
students and just tap the board to go to the next slide.  It is also
good when teaching Internet.

I used my SmartBoard everyday!

For Pre-schoolers I found interactive storytelling websites and used software that
needed the interaction of their fingers to get to the bells and whistles.

Kindergartners practiced writing their ABC's and numbers with their magic fingers.
I made a powerpoint of "Goin on a Lion Hunt" to teach the parts of the library.
This was so much fun that during October we did a similar chant to a Ghost Hunt.
Sometimes the children took turns drawing parts of the story and we saved them in
NoteBook.

First Graders did KWL charts about whales that we saved for future use. We took
notes as a class from books we looked at and finally created a class PowerPoint
presentation. The keyboard feature made this a success for technology, cooperation
and spelling.

Second Graders created biography PowerPoints at the end of the year. I also took
simple worksheet type activities and made them into NoteBook files that the kids
could manipulate, i.e. sorting pictures of objects and words of objects to
illustrate Dewey arrangement.

Third Graders enjoyed moving words around to alphabetize them, moving sentences
around to sequence, filling in story maps with the stylus and then magically
transforming their writing into a keyboard font.

I have the Promethean Activboard...don't think the files would open with
SMART board.  I absolutely love it.  I do lots of interactive  lessons.
For example...two sections labeled Fiction and Non Fiction...list book
characters, settings, and plots from various stories you have read with
the children and let them "click and drag" them to the appropriate
heading of Fiction or non-fiction (or with Kindergarten I call it Real
and Not Real.)  I have all my research lessons on the activboard, I have
done lessons where questions are listed and the kids have to drag the
question to the appropriate reference book listed ( dictionary, atlas,
almanac, encyclopedia).

I have a portable smartboard in my library and have used it (not enough) with my
kids.  You can certainly do OPAC search and Google lessons with it.  I also do
sequencing and author studies.

I will be using one next year for the first time. I am planning on using it for map
work as my theme for the year is Around the World in Books.

FROM THE ARCHIVES

We have four SmartBoards in our building.  I have a large one in the library and it
is used constantly.

I've made my own program for arranging Dewey numbers and for practicing
Alphabetizing.I also use the board for the web site Onemorestorey.com which reads
to the students.At the end of a period if we have a few extra minutes, my primaries
work in spelling and my intermediates often use a geography game.    This fall I've
been using a great website for parts of a book:
http://www.emerson.k12.nj.us/staff/rmkelly/custom/mediacenter/Kids%20Corner/BookParts/BooksParts.html
 We also used it as a collaboration tool - I would tie in video clips, short
information bits, and activitiesfor the students. For example, a lesson for
kindergarten - the students and I talked about seasons.We watched a video clip.
Then, we did different activities.  The students had to put the season in order
(dragging them).  They had to sort what to wear in a certain season, etc.When we
used the SMARTBoard in the past, we used it for a lesson that involved some kind of
choice.For a fairy tale unit, we read Cinderella.  Our activity went something like
this: Cinderella is going to the ball,but it is winter.  Which clothes will she
wear? We had set up the four seasons in quadrants with clothing choicesin the
center.  The kids volunteered to come up and click and drag.   I used it to teach
students how to locate key information from research articles. The teacher assigned
smallgroups to locate information on specific Civil War figures. I brought up an
online encyclopedia articleon an individual, had a student read aloud a paragraph,
then ask the students to repeat anything theyheard that was useful (to the
project)Using the electronic pens, I had another student to locate thatinformation
in the article and underline it.  I know the concept is not unusual, but the
delivery waswhat engaged the students. (4th Grade Class)