Hi,
  I had a call from a former colleague asking about getting a book published that
her high-school aged son has written (scifi/YA, about 200 p.).  His HS librarian
had given him a list of publishers (I suspect they were vanity presses from the one
she asked me about but I don't know that).  He heard back from a company called
Tate (she thinks it's in Oklahoma) and of course it's a vanity press that wants
thousands of dollars.  I've explained to her how they work and how they're
generally not a great idea.  She didn't even know that "real" publishers pay you
and not the other way round.  I've checked our archives since I know this has come
up before and I sent her a hit that Jackie Henry sent out a couple of years ago
when she asked on behalf of an adult query but that's all I saw.  I know it's
difficult to get published the first time and I know that publishers rarely read
the stuff that comes in "over the transom."  Does anyone know anything about this
Tate company?  Any advice from those of you have been published or know someone who
has.  Best publishers for scifi.  Of course I have no idea if this book is any good
at all and I'm not offering to read it.
Thanks for any help/advice.
Joanne Proctor, retired LMS
Topeka, Kansas