Friends,

I too appreciate Frederick's (and everybody's) reviews - I often use them to hunt
up the journal reviews on the same title and get a better picture (and confirm my
selection decision).

I would like to request that our reviewers PLEASE let us know what grade/age range
they recommend the book for. I don't mean just the readability of the words, I mean
the suitability of the story line. Many of us are at K - 6 sites and we need
challenging materials for 6th grade that aren't "middle school only" suitability,
since we could easily have a 4th or 5th grader select the book.

For example, here's Frederick's comment in his review of "Speak" :

"This is a powerful, well written book that gets into the mind of a first year HS
student.  Because of the rape and assault, I would not give it to younger than 7th
grade.  But that is your call, with your population."

Thanks for the tip-off Frederick! When my 6th graders ask about it, I'll know to
refer them to the public library for that title.

It would be nice if begin with a "Suggested grade range: " at the beginning of
their review, or perhaps even in the subject line with an ELEM., MID, or HS
designation? What do others think?

Thanks for the reviews!

Joanne Ladewig, Library Media Technician (a.k.a. "Library Lady")
Lawrence Elementary School, GGUSD
Garden Grove, CA USA
shatz@verizon.net

---Comments are my own and may not reflect the views of GGUSD.