Thanks, Art, for posting this. There are many
educational reasons to oppose DOPA and this sounds
like a bill that could be offered as an alternative
when contacting senators. Many of the recent exciting
learning opportunities in our schools have included
the use of blogs and wikis, for instance. Use of these
technologies would be forbidden in schools.

Here's an excerpt from ALA President Leslie Burger's
press release yesterday:

“ALA is disappointed by the House’s passage (410-15)
today of H.R. 5319, the ‘Deleting Online Predators
Act’ (DOPA). This unnecessary and overly broad
legislation will hinder students’ ability to engage in
distance learning and block library computer users
from accessing a wide array of essential Internet
applications including instant messaging, email, wikis
and blogs.

“Under DOPA, people who use library and school
computers as their primary conduits to the Internet
will be unfairly blocked from accessing some of the
web’s most powerful emerging technologies and learning
applications. As libraries are already required to
block content that is “harmful to minors” under the
Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA),  DOPA is
redundant and unnecessary legislation.

“Librarians are very concerned with the need to
protect children from online predators, and we know
that the best way to protect our kids from harm is by
teaching them to make wise choices online.”

Let's work with our Senators to make sure this
unnecessary and restrictive bill is defeated in the
House!

Thanks, Sara Kelly Johns
AASL President-Elect

--- Art Wolinsky <awolinsky@OII.ORG> wrote:

> Below is the text of my podcast at
> http://www.3dwriting.com/wiredsafety/blog
>
> Yesterday I was part of a Congressional briefing
> session on Internet
> Safety. When I was contacted to attend, my initial
> reaction was to
> ask if it had anything to do with DOPA, because if
> it did my
> commentary would simple. The name says it all.
>
> To my relief, it had nothing to do with DOPA and is
> actually (IMHO)
> something good coming out of DC.
>
> The session was a round table conducted by
> Democratic Representative
> Melissa Bean from IL and Bart Stupak from MI.
>
> At the table were representatives from iSafe, the
> National Center for
> Missing and Exploited Children, and WiredSafety.
>
> The discussion was wide ranging and included social
> networking, child
> porn, cyber bullying and less "glamorous" issues
> such as phishing and
> identity theft.
>
> We took a look at some of the problems, what is
> being done about
> them, and what can be done.
>
> The session was in part conducted to raise awareness
> in the media and
> public for Representative Bean's SAFER NET Act
> (H.R.4982).
>
> If it is passed, the merits of the bill will be
> witnessed by its
> implementation, but from what I see, it is a big
> step in the right
> direction. It seeks to establish and Office of
> Internet Safety and
> Public Awareness.
>
> Rather than seeking to regulate with the ineffective
> and restrictive
> broad brush strokes of DOPA, this bill seeks to
> identify exemplary
> programs and best practices, coordinates efforts of
> diverse
> organizations, promotes a national public service
> campaign, and
> provides grants to state and local governments.
>
> In Representatives Bean and Stupak, I see two people
> who are
> genuinely concerned about Internet safety. How much
> DC politics will
> impact the implementation is something we'll have to
> wait and see,
> but DOPA it's not! I have my fingers crossed.
>
> To see the bill in it's entirety, go to congress.gov
> and search by
> bill number or sponsor.
>

> Art Wolinsky
> OEO 3DWriting.com
> Technology Director - Online Internet Institute
> Educational Technology Director - WiredSafety.org
> awolinsky@3dwriting.com
> (609) 698-8223 (Home Office)
> (609) 618-4433 (Cell)
>
> I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.
> I will surely learn a great deal today.

> Please note: All LM_NET postings are protected by
> copyright law.
>   You can prevent most e-mail filters from deleting
> [...]

AASL 2006-07 President-Elect
Associate Editor for AASL Community, Knowledge Quest
Lake Placid Middle/High School LMC
34 School Street
Lake Placid, NY 12946
518-523-2474, ext. 4132
FAX: 518-523-4861
johns@northnet.org
SaraKJohns@aol.com

"Information is the currency of democracy." -- Thomas Jefferson