According to the ALA Washington Office, DOPA is being fast-tracked in
the Senate.  An article in the NYT today said it may come up for a vote
as early as next week.  YALSA is putting together some resources and
preparing for an advocacy campaign, and we'll need members' and
librarians' help.  So, please stay tuned.  When we know more next week,
we will need to act quickly.
The NYT article is called "Chat Rooms Could Face Expulsion," by Declan
McCullagh.  Judy Nelson, YALSA's President, will be sending a response
to this article.  Next week YALSA will have sample letters to the editor
that we'll be asking members to send to their local newspapers.  We will
also have a Legislative Advocacy Guide that will make contacting your
Senator's office easy, as well as a Social Networking Site Toolkit so
you can help educate your coworkers and library users about the pros and
cons of social networking sites, what DOPA may mean for them and how to
stay safe on the Internet.
Thanks for all the work you do to ensure that teens and other library
users have access to critical Internet resources!
-Beth

Beth Yoke
Executive Director
Young Adult Library Services Association,
fastest growing division of the American Library Association
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611
1 (800) 545-2433 x4391
byoke@ala.org