Pondering the question of outdated, weeded, obsolete, incorrect materials  once
again, I grit my teeth and call upon the spirit of Cassie Logan, the narrator of
Mildred Taylor's Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry. I recall an incident in the novel in
which the children are excited to be receiving school books for the first time.
However, Cassie's younger brother--the fastidious Little Man--enrages the teacher
when he asks for a clean book. Little Man accepts his book when he sees that all
the books "were badly worn and that the gray edges of the pages had been marred by
pencils, crayons, and ink." Then Little Man reads the inside of the book, flings it
to the ground, and begins to shake "with indignant anger." Cassie looks inside her
own book to see what has infuriated Little Man. She reads that the books had
belonged to another school and had been given to the all-black Great Faith
Elementary School when the white children "didn't want 'em no more." Cassie
attempts to explain thi!
 s to th
e teacher, but Miss Crocker does not accept the explanation. Miss Crocker will whip
Little Man and Cassie must take a stand:

"Miss Crocker," I said, "I don't want my book neither."

The switch landed hard upon Little Man's upturned bottom. Miss Crocker looked
questioningly at me as I reached up to her desk and placed the book upon it. The
she swung the switch five more times and, discovering that Little Man had no
intention of crying, ordered him up.

"All right, Cassie," she sighed, turning to me, "Come on and get yours."

Little Man and Cassie will not accept the status quo; they would rather take the
switch. They know that they deserve the best--new books, selected for them,
reflecting them, their culture, their needs, their interests. Like Cassie and
Little Man, I'll turn down used books for my library -- and I'll not collect used
books for other libraries -- and I’ll take the switch if I must

(Taylor, Mildred. Roll Of Thunder, Hear My Cry. New York:Penguin, 1976. pp. 21-27)

Debra Gniewek, Librarian
CRHS South
Holland, PA
vm: 215-944-1175