The old adage is still true---what is one man's junk is another man's treasure.

I also go looking for OLD battered books for my personal collection. I am a civil
war reenactor. From the style of writing, the thoughts of how people felt about
their time comes through. Or what they thought was entertainment.

Books that I have donated out of my schools have still had value. They were no
longer needed for my collection (ie: too many copies, no longer being read, etc)
but another school could use them.  Textbooks that I have sent overseas have tended
to be
the textbooks that were part of an adoption preview and the publishers did not want
them back. I don't want them, the teachers don't want them, but they are new books.

I agree--old junk should not be sent to another place without the other location
having a choice of turning them down.   BUT, I do know of an overseas school that
willingly takes the oldest of the old, because they are free, and their students can
practice English with them. Because of the climate and humditity, the books do not
last long.

I think the pride issue is an important issue to discuss. And from Taylor's book
the person did not go far enough, read on to the mother's actions. She refused to
let pride stand in the way of using books--even the one's no longer considered
functional at a different school. She still thought they had some value.

But also, I will CHOOSE which books to send out and which to pitch in the recycler.
Not all weeded books have the same value.

JaKay Greer
Teacher-Librarian
Damascus MS & McCarty MS
website:  http://damascus.gresham.k12.or.us/~greer
Gresham, OR
jakay_greer@gbsd.gresham.k12.or.us

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.  If you
have received this message in error, please notify the original sender immediately
by
telephone or by return email and delete this message, along with any attachments,
from your computer.