Thank you to the folks who responded to my question book/game ideas!  I am sorry it
has taken me so long to post a HIT - I was waiting to see if any more responses
came in.  I am thinking there are several people out of school already.

HIT:
Ready or Not, Dawdle Duckling by Toni Buzzeo and Hide-and-Seek.

In fact, I wrote a whole article on Hide-and-Seek in various picture books for
LIbrary Sparks this year, entitled Literary Hide-and-Seek.

**************

I have used "The Warlord's Puzzle" or "Grandfather Tang's Story" and printed out a
tangram square for the kids to cut and solve.

***************

 I read Alphabet Adventure by Don & Audrey Wood to my Kindergarteners. In this
story, the letters are all traveling to school to help a child learn to read, but
along the way, the "little i's"  dot goes missing.  On each page of the book, the
dot is hidden somewhere within the illustration.  The kids enjoy trying to see the
dot before I point it out.
After the story, we play "Spot the Dot". To play, cut a red circle about 3 inches
in diameter, and put a bit of Stik-Tak on the back.  Students must all hide their
eyes by putting their foreheads on the carpet, and making a "house" around their
eyes with their hands.  When all eyes are closed, I walk around the room and stick
the dot somewhere. (it helps a lot if I talk the whole time, because otherwise, the
kids will look wherever I am standing or wherever they heard me step right away.)
On signal, they open their eyes and sit up.  They must stay on their bottoms, but
can look all around, until someone can "spot the dot"  The kids love this simple
game.

Patricia H. Gray
pgray@fcps1.org
Librarian, Ritchie Elementary