I recently attended Judy Freeman's BER Seminar entitled What's New in
Children's Literature 2006.  I attend every year I can, and what a
wealth of information and ideas I glean and immediately implement in my
library media program!  Judy Freeman can jumpstart and recharge any
librarian's battery!  If you can't attend her seminars, her books have a
similar effect.  This year, among other new ideas, she introduced an
amazingly delightful Melvil Dewey puppet and hand puppets for the 10
categories of the Dewey Decimal System.  Melvil is gorgeous (I'm not
sure many people refer to Mr. Dewey so glowingly)!  I immediately went
home and called Mimi at Mimi's Motifs in California
(www.mimismotifs.com) to order my own for the upcoming school year. A
picture of the Dewey puppets is shown on page 87 in Judy Freeman's Books
Kids Will Sit Still For: A Read-Aloud Guide, along with some wonderfully
entertaining lessons for introducing Melvil and his Dewey System.  Check
it out this summer with next year's library lessons in mind.

Nancy Dillard

Crestline Elementary School Library

Birmingham, AL 35213

dillardn@mtnbrook.k12.al.us