Hi, Katie.
In my district's libraries we have traditionally used the entire last name of the
author for all items -- fiction and non-fiction (taking our cue from the local
public library's practice). I actually take it one step further making the call
number for each book unique.
E.g. <FIC Twain,M ADVh c.3> would be for the third copy of Mark Twin's Adventures
of Huckleberry Finn. You'll notice the lower case "h" which in this case stands for
"huckleberry" to distinguish it from "t" for the "tom" of Tom Sawyer since both
titles start out as "The adventures of...".
The reason I do this is so that there is only one place on the shelf for every
book. I really think it's confusing for patrons and shelvers alike if there is any
question about where a book goes.
In most libraries the old Cutter system has gone out of style, but, of course, that
is exactly what the Cutter number was meant for -- to distinguish each item on the
shelf by author and title.
Btw, for my non-fiction books I only use the first three letters of the author's
last name but I add the date as part of the call number which also helps
distinguish one item from another. LC uses the date as part of the call number so I
figure I can too.
Remember that call numbers are unique to your library collection so go ahead and
make them as user-friendly as possible.
Tom Kaun
Library media teacher
Redwood High School