Thanks to everyone that replied with ideas of alternative activities to
entertain the students on Standardized Testing days.  I'm sorry I didn't
get this HIT posted any sooner.

Thanks again,
Theresa

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In door games like Simon Says, or Scattergories, Win Lose or Draw,
Hangman, Jeopardy, are good. I keep a collection of puzzles, checkers,
chess, bingo, etc. At my former school movies were used every time
students couldn't go outside or for the kind of days you are describing.
It is easy for the teacher and the kids stay quiet. (I think they just
got a bit lazy about coming up with other ideas.)

* * * * * * * * * * *

Whatever curriculum topics the kids are doing there are usually paper
templates on the internet that can be downloaded and made into 3D models
.... this is a good way to use the time ... kids usually like it (you
didn't say what age) ... and there is a clear outcome so you can easily
see the end result and they didn't necessarily waste their time.

You could even have prizes for the best ..... and great for displays in
school.

See links to free templates at
http://www.shambles.net/pages/learning/MathsP/PaperFold/

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Classroom Baseball <http://teachers.net/gazette/MAR02/slutz.html>;; has
worked well in some of our classrooms recently.  I'd want to use some
flexible 'pinch-hitter' rules.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

I've created Powerpoint "Jeopardy" games for the students over books,
movies, popular culture, even the DDC for times like these.

The formats are easy to change (new questions, categories, etc.) and the
kids like the competition.  It also helps many of the students who are
able to answer quick questions over easy topics to have some
satisfaction when they realize that they DO know the answers to some of
the questions like "Movie Books" ---or other pop culture things.  I know
it sounds like another "test" but my kids love doing it after testing
because it's almost mindless---they know THESE answers!

You just need an LCD projector and a computer that is connected to it.

Theresa Nelson, Librarian
Tom Browne Middle School
(361) 878-1426
tanelson@ccisd.us