I want to thank everyone who responded with ideas, not only for books but
decorations for my camping theme. I totally forgot about the book that was on the
Bluebonnet list here in Texas a few years ago, so thaink you to those that
suggested that one. I have several copies of it sitting on my shelf.

Below are the responses that I received on ideas for picture books to use with my
camping theme. For those interested, I will be using the camping theme from
Upstart:
http://www.highsmith.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Production/Search.jsp?storeId=10001&catalogId=10010&langId=-1&N=0&Ntk=HsSearch1&Nty=1&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&D=&Nu=CategoryId&chkForFilter=N&s=1&Ntt=camp+read-a-lot

A few book titles:
A Week In the Woods by Clements
or maybe Hatchet (paulsen) or My Side of the Mountain(George).  There are several
picture books about camping for little ones, and the "Crinkleroot" series is great
"crossover" nonfiction that will cover the Naturalists angle, with rules for animal
track identification and so forth.  You also may want to read Blueberries for Sal,
which is a summery, woodsy sort of classic. I would discourage sleeping bags
although the sleeping mats are nice. You will find that it gets very hot inside the
tents if a few kids are in them at room temp.Do plan to borrow a few fake christmas
trees to set up. it really gives a "campy" atmosphere to the library.  Have a great
time!

Loy, Jessica. 2003. Follow the Trail: A Young Persons Guide to the Great
Outdoors. Photographs by the author. New York: Holt. ISBN 0-8050-6195-9,
$18.95.

Filled with numerous ideas, safety rules, and games, as well as ways to
identify animal tracks, wildflowers, and constellations, this outdoor guide
provides a roadmap for camping fun and excitement.

While this isn't only about camping, it is about the
outdoors and includes info on camping.  It was on this
year's Bluebonnet list, so it's a good book:

Loy, Jessica. 2003. Follow the Trail: A Young Persons
Guide to the Great Outdoors. Photographs by the
author. New York: Holt. ISBN 0-8050-6195-9, $18.95.

Filled with numerous ideas, safety rules, and games,
as well as ways to identify animal tracks,
wildflowers, and constellations, this outdoor guide
provides a roadmap for camping fun and excitement.

as a twist, how about Amelia Bedelia goes Camping?

Arthur has a book about camping.  I don't remember if it has rules in it.

This doesn't really answer your question, but I can't help myself, because I did a
camping theme one year!  I did it at the very end of the year.  I did the tent too,
and I had a little fire pit with real rocks and sticks (but fake fire).  I used the
set up to tell campfire stories and ghost stories (depending on the grade), which I
encouraged them to tell their families over the summer.  I told some, read some,
and tried to provide time for students to tell stories too.  It was a riot, and
students were still talking about it in the fall.  Good luck!  Have fun!

What about editing for reaading Follow the Trail.  It was a Bluebonnet
Book last year.

do you have an girl scout or boy scout handbook?

Follow the Trail: A Young Person's Guide to the Great Outdoors by Jessica
Loy. It was on the Bluebonnet list a couple of years ago so you may already
have it.

It's been a while, but I think Three Days on a River
in a Red Canoe might be useful.

Seantele Foreman
Librarian
C.J. Harris Elementary