I apologize for the delay in delivering this hit regarding equipment and AV
MARC records. I received some wonderful responses and feel I now have the
courage (and information) to tackle this cataloging job. Thank you to David,
Kathy, Kit, Sarah, Robert, Pam, Melissa, Maureen, Cathleen, and Lisa for
their invaluable advice and information.

The information I received is below:
Some automation systems have templates for various types of materials,
so you might check there first. If you don't have that option, I use a
very simplified system. I put in the manufacturer's name for the author
(Apollo), the type of equipment for the title (overhead projector), and
the model number in the subtitle box (V16000). The serial number goes in
the comments box, price and vendor go it their respective boxes, and the
barcode goes in automatically. I actually spend more time finding the
model number and serial number than I do putting all the information in.

I have mine in our textbook checkout program so I only have to enter "VCR"
as a title once and all the separate VCR's are like book copies. No need for
MARC.

If you are using Follett, look at Ch 28 in the manual. Audiovisual tips has
a template for AV stuff. I have done the task you are setting out and here
are a few of the things I figured out.

In cataloging, add a title using easy Marc. I use Equipment for the title,
and 3-D object for the type. Then I save, and add copies, one for each piece
of equipment.

The title for all of AV stuff is Equipment. The author is the type of
equipment. The call numbers are EQU and then it gets cryptic, an abbreviated
name and number.

EQU LAP 01 for laptops

EQU TV 01

EQU DVD

EQU VID (video camera)

etc.

In the screen for adding copies, you can add price, serial numbers, model,
etc.

I am going to be creating a document on how to do this for the district, in
between closing the library and inventory. I will try to save your address
and send you a copy if you would like it.

In 2000 we began using Follett's Union catalog; thus, the warning about
using the 590 note. In the Union catalog a local note would be viewed by
all members.

We have also made another revision. We use subfields e, f, g in the
Publication 260 field so that our equipment records will not be accepted
by the Texas union catalog for schools; or, we can also just leave the
260 field blank. Subfields e, f, g are valid subfields for manufacturer
information.

Follett may still have free copies of the pamphlet entitled Sample
Audiovisual Equipment Entries.

They also have a sample MARC record at
http://www.fsc.follett.com/clientsupport/community/tagofthemonth/tagofth
emonth.cfm?tagofthemonth=55

" Is there a place to enter where these items were bought, when
purchased, etc."--Copy screen.

"I also need to know under what material type to place them."--Use the
Three-Dimensional Artifact, Object template.

the below is from Athen :

You can also use Athena to track equipment. This MARC record stores
information about an overhead projector.

TAG SUBFIELD INFORMATION EXAMPLE
100 a Serial number of the equipment P039307140C
245 a Name of equipment Overhead Projector
b Model 320
h Equipment Equipment
250 b Company that produced equipment 3-M
500 a Notes (for example, what type of light-bulb a projector uses) 100 Watt
bulb
500 a Notes on trolley with extension cord
650 a Equipment Equipment
852 b Current location of the equipment Room 100
k Call number prefix (have a standard prefix) EQ
p Barcode number 1000
9 Cost 149.00

© 1993-2004 Sagebrush Corporation

I make it as simple as possible. I use Alexandria as my circulation
software.

In the Call # field I just use "AV." In the medium I created "AV equipment."

For title I use the brand and type. For example: "Sony video camera."

In the author section I put the serial number.

In subject I use a generic description that is useful when searching, such
as "video camera" or "overhead."

Then I add the copy information including the price, and attach a barcode to
the equipment.

Here's what we use:

Equipment Information in tag 245:

_a Equipment type: ie, TV #5, GE Model 12345, serial number 54321

I include the serial # here because our system reports will show it

from here without printing the MARC record

_h GMD of realia because I haven't found one specifically for equipment

_b Remainder of title: anything that didn't fit in _a, ie: 25" color TV,
Black chasis

_c Statement of Responsibility:

Imprint in tag 260:

_e Place of manufacture

_f Manufacturer

_g Date of manufacture

Physical Description in 300:

_a Extent: 1 DVD player

_b Other physical details: 1 Remote control #EUR7617010

(serial num will help you find a replacement later)

_c Dimensions

_e Accompanying materials

Notes in 500s:

538_a System details: 192kHz/24 bit Audio D/A converter/Dolby.

500_a General Notes: Remote Control #EUR7617010

590_a Local Note: Serial number

Subject in 690 (only because some systems _really_ want a subject entry:

690_a Equipment (this is not an authorized LC heading, buy 690 make it a
local one)

Your local information like barcode number; call number; purchase price,
date & fund; holding library' material type, etc. will go wherever your
system requires it.

Look at your system to see if you can create a template for doing your
equipment and av materials to make it easier on yourself.

I finally did it last summer, although I know there are still
things lurking in closets that I don't knpow about. But, I did find
something from follett (in print) that guided us thourgh the MARC record.
You have to use the "realia" template. We gave everything an AV prefix and
them the rest of the call number was based on the item : AV TV; AV OP
(overhead) etc.
Here's an example:
TITLE: Panasonic DVD player [realia] / Panasonic
PUBLISHED: Secaucus, NJ : Panasonic, 2001.
dimensions in here, but I drew the line at measuring everything]
EDITION: Model no. : DVD-RV3

NOTES:Manual on file in library office.
NOTES: Serial no. : KT1DA019993
SUBJECT: DVD player.
SUBJECT: Audio-visual equipment.

In the copy record I put the serial number in the plac e you would normally
put Volume 1, etc.
Anything that takes a bulb got a note with the right designation.
If there was still a valid warrnaty that went in another note, with the 800
# of the vendor or manufacturer
Be sure to put the vendor and price in the copy record if you know it; date
of purchase if you know it can be another 500 note.

It can be quite tricky to find model numbers, serial numbers etc. But at
least their placement is generally consistent within models of the same
brand. If we have many items that are identical, we made them "copies" on
the same record.
When I barcoded the equipment, I made sure that any associated part
(remotes, adapters) got the same barcode or a label with the barcode number
on it.

I am sending you a sample of the way the record looks. Almost
everything about the Epson PowerLite 3 is listed in the copy record. I
make a very sparse MARC record and use the 'three dimensional object"
from the +TITLE button. I just fill in publisher, title, and
description for the actual MARC.

Carol F. Wirwa, Librarian
Crockett County Middle School
497 N. Cavalier Drive