Several postings over the last few days made me think that it would be
nice to have a place to share school library media photos.  Flickr
(http://www.flickr.com) lets you assign rights to  your photos under
Creative Commons licensing.  (Read more about  Creative Commons
licensing options here:
http://www.flickr.com/account/prefs/license/ and about Creative Commons
here: http://creativecommons.org/ ).

There are also several relatively new low-cost stock photo sites...in
fact, you can actually sell your photos there for others to purchase..or
earn credit towards photos you want to purchase and use. We mentioned
one (fotolia at http://www.fotolia.com/) in a recent SUNLINK Announcement:
http://sunlinkannouncements.blogspot.com/2006/06/photos-or-fotos-for-you.html

A similar site:  http://www.123rf.com/

Both sites have an "education" category and you can get some hits by
searching for library, books,  computers and/or students....

Of course, if people or children's faces are recognizable, you'd have to
be sure to obtain permission from the person or the parent to keep it legal.

But wouldn't it be great to have a place to go to find the photos we ALL
need?  And wouldn't it improve visibility and image to have the wide
variety of activities and programs in our library media centers
available for all to see?

Maybe some of you already use a service and tags to which we could
contribute more images and share?  Maybe we could form a Flickr group?
Any suggestions?

Donna Baumbach
Professor
University of Central Florida