Okay, I have received numerous posts about curriculum and advice for the
elementary librarian which I will post soon.  However, another question has
arisen out of these responses.  Are computer skills generally a portion of
the library curriculum?  A couple of people have expressed concern about my
idea to teach basic computer skills.  But, when doing my practicum in
graduate school, I worked in a county in which this was written into the
basic library curriculum and I think it's necessary to teach information
literacy skills.  Of course, this county had received a grant for laptop
carts in every library so this could be where teaching computer skills came
from.  How many of you teach basic computer skills?  If so, do you have a
computer teacher in the school?  Of course, in my situation, the principal
is already very enthusiastic about my suggestion of teaching computer skills
so I may have to do so.

I just want to say that I love children's literature and love to read.  I do
hope to instill a love of reading in the students but I don't want to be the
type of librarian who does no teaching, simply reads to the kids to give the
teachers a break.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Melissa Byrd
Soon-to-be Librarian, Jacksboro Elementary
Jacksboro, TN
mbyrd3@gmail.com