Thanks so much to everyone who commented on Guided Reading libraries and tracking
them through the school library.  It was fun to hear from librarians all over the
country who were facing similar challenges with respect to guided reading
libraries.  I learned about possible pitfalls as well as had some personal concerns
validated.

I agreed to post responses and in checking LM-NET's Etiquette (at least ass I
understand it) I am to summarize and compile answers.  If you have any questions or
comments or would like more details, feel free to e-mail me. Thanks again everyone!

Serena Hayes
Heber Valley Elementary
Heber, Utah 84032
shayes@syptec.com

When tracking a guided reading library through the main library system the greatest
concerns had to do with cataloging and teacher check-out of materials.

With respect to cataloguing it was suggested that each individual book in the bag
be given a separate, individual barcode.  (Do not duplicate barcodes).  One reason
for this was that someday the books would have to be re-catalogued on an individual
basis. Equally, if a teacher wanted only 4 of the perhaps six books available he or
she could take just what was needed and be accountable for those specific copies.
Another suggestion was to avoid cataloguing a set of books by coding the bag.  If
the bag is lost how will the books be found or identified.
Call numbers would, of course, reflect your personal needs; location in the
library, level, author etc.

As to teacher check-outs the answers varied from the clothespin method, self-check
out by the teachers or check-out through the automated library system.  Almost
every answer indicated a level of frustration over lost books.  These were books
which teachers either could not find or just helped themselves to without benefit
of check-out.

While a few guided reading labs were located in the library, most were adjacent to
the library allowing both hallway and media center access during the day while
keeping it separate from the main library collection.  This would certainly cut
down on student access to materials which are unavailable for them to check out.
Almost everyone mentioned that it was NOT a good idea to allow teachers 24/7 access
to either library.  While a lucky one or two mentioned no problems with teacher's
self checking out, the majority of responses suggested that a 24/7 access was  a
very good way to have the books grow legs and walk away.  :}

Thanks to everyone who so graciously shared their experiences with me.   I truly
appreciated it!
Have a super day!
Serena