A few very personal notes and impressions from ALA in New Orleans --
(permanently on my blog linked from http://www.mcelmeel.com)

Just returned from New Orleans where I was involved in the beginning
discussions for the Caldecott 2007 Award.  All conversations and
discussions are confidential so I won't discuss the actual
proceedings -- but what fun I am having.

One of the highlights was attending the 2006 Newbery/Caldecott Award
dinner.  I was seated next to Mark Teague, met Ann Martin, and
Jonathan Winter at the table.  But the best part was to hear Chris
Raschka - illustrator of this year's Caldecott The Hello, Goodbye
Window talk about his Peace Corp work and work that brings him
satisfaction -- and of his efforts in 1991 to create a picture book.
He told of showing up at his first "author reading" to find only 2-3
young children in the audience.  But when he finished this woman in a
blue dress came up and told of reading in the paper that Raschka
would be at the store and she just had to stay over that night and be
there to see him.  He credited that person that person with gray hair
and a blue dress with going on to talk about his work to everyone she
could, to speak of him and his work everywhere.  Such enthusiasm made
his career and for that he thanked the lady in blue -- Karen Breen --
the current children's book review editor for Kirkus Reviews.  Others
who were there in person may recall his story better than I have
here. I could listen to the CD of the speeches that Weston Woods so
generously gave to each attendee.  I could but I prefer to remember
it my way -- and to smile to konw that many of us know Karen through
her work in the field of children's literature and librarianship --
and Kirkus Reviews.  CONGRATULATIONS Karen for making a difference in
many ways.

I also loved the fact that Raschka called Norton Juster onto the
stage for a little harmonica music - -a word or two from Juster was
just the right finale for the evening.  I think that should become a
tradition.  I have never understood why the author did not get
recognized at the award.  The criteria clearly state that the text
MUST BE WORTHY of the illustrations.  And if the illustrations are
distinguished would that not make the text distinguished as well?
Perhaps someone would endow a Caldecott AUTHOR award.

I enjoyed the comments made by Lynne Rae Perkins the author of Criss
Cross the 2006 Newbery Award but the Caldecott Award was definitely
the highlight.  :>)

Another highlight was Monday night (June 26, 2006) when Marilyn
Singer (and her "old" friend, Barbara Genco, Director of Collection
Development, former president of the Association of Library Service
to Children (ALSC) organized a
http://www.marilynsinger.net/fullblast.html --  Poetry Blast</A>.
And while I enjoyed the poetry of Brod Bagert, Calef Brown, Bobbi
Katz, Heidi Mordhorst,
Joanne Ryder, Diane Siebert, Marilyn Singer, Jonah Winter, Janet Wong
-- I LOVED the poetry and reading by Jamie Adoff.  Arnold Adoff was
scheduled to be there as well but he was ill.  However, Jamie was
FANTASTIC.  Missed Arnold -- hope he is feeling better today but if
he could have seen and heard Jamie chances are he would have felt
better immediately.

Was able to have breakfast with Colin Bootman -- if you don't know
his work look him up on http://www.colinbootman.com. and talked, over
lunch, with Elise Carbone about her new novel about Jamestown --
check that out at http://www.elisecarbone.com.

I met Bryan Collier, and several other authors including Rosemary
Wells who autographed her book <I><B>My Shining Stars</I></B> -- the
anchor book for a new preschool soon to open in Nevada -- see
http://www.kekcorners.com.

Won't take time to gush about the fantastic food, the friendly
people, and the enthusiasm for all things books that we all found in
New Orleans -- but will say I've returned home rejuvenated, ready to
work on all sorts of literacy projects.

Sharron

Sharron L. McElmeel
http://www.mcelmeel.com

McBookwords (a literacy organization)
http://www.mcbookwords.com/

Instructor - University of Wisconsin-Stout
Children's Literature in the Reading Program
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/childrenslit/
Young Adult Literature in the Reading Program
http://www.uwstout.edu/soe/profdev/yalit/

3000 N Center Point Rd
Cedar Rapids, IA 52411-9548

ph. (319) 393-2562
fax (319) 393-4749 (If line is busy, initiate a voice call and ask
that the line be made available for a fax transmission.)
mcelmeel@mcelmeel.com