<DIV>O Wise and Experienced Ones, </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>I hope to be interviewing in
the next few days for a position I think I am ideally
qualified for, but&nbsp;some questions have occurred
to me that I hope some of you more experienced folks
can help with.</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>The
school district in question is very small, and is
about to&nbsp;have a high school for the first time in
many years.&nbsp; They had a high school long ago, but
are currently an elementary district (one school
K-8).&nbsp; Their students attend high school in
nearby towns.&nbsp; They will be adding 9th grade this
year, tenth next, etc.</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The previous "librarian" was actually a library
aide.&nbsp; Since this district had no high school,
they didn't have to have a certified person.&nbsp; She
has already resigned and found a job elsewhere because
she knew she didn't have the qualifications needed for
the new set-up.</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>This is
what I know about the position so far.&nbsp; The
librarian will need to plan to split the library
(probably do a lot of weeding, too), order a lot of
new books, and teach one or two classes of Spanish I
for this year only.&nbsp; They do not currently have a
Spanish teacher.&nbsp; I think that the 9th graders
will have to continue using the library at the
elementary for this year.</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I know this would be a lot of work, but it's only
a few miles from home and I think I would like the
challenge.&nbsp; I hate to be bored!&nbsp; I also
think I am uniquely qualified, with certification and
master's degree in library science, two years
experience in a 7-12 library, and several years'
experience teaching Spanish.&nbsp; I am also certified
in several other subjects at the secondary level, and
I much prefer small towns.&nbsp; (I was a city kid
until age 33, who'da thunk it?)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>I want to take this
opportunity to get back into the library.&nbsp; I have
been a stay-at-home mom for several years, and we
could really use the money, but we're not
desperate.&nbsp; My husband would understand&nbsp;if I
thought this would not be a good situation for
me.&nbsp; I have already&nbsp;spoken informally to the
principal,&nbsp;and he sounds OK.&nbsp; My friend who
told me about this opening thinks he's pretty
good.</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>What do you think
about this position?&nbsp; What questions should I
ask?&nbsp; Where am I likely to run into
difficulties?&nbsp; What resources will the 9th
graders and their teachers need immediately, that you
would put into the "can't-live-without"
category?&nbsp; How can I help the teachers in this
new setup?&nbsp; If you've had experience teaching
classes while running a library, how did it
work?&nbsp; I wouldn't think the classes would&nbsp;be
IN the library, but I'm not sure.&nbsp; And if anyone
knows of a&nbsp;GOOD Spanish text series currently
approved in Texas, I'd like to know that, too.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>Am I completely crazy for
wanting to do this?</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Cindy Denning</DIV>  <DIV>once and future
librarian</DIV>  <DIV>Collinsville, TX</DIV>  <DIV><A
href="mailto:cynden744@verizon.net">cynden744@verizon.net</A></DIV>
 <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>