Recently I asked a number of questions about Internet access and was
extremely grateful to receive wonderful responses. I am going to try to
summarize them in a couple of HIT messages. I will have two articles
coming out (I hope), one about additional barriers to access beyond
filters, and the other about filtering and the fact that many schools
seem to find filters becoming more and more restrictive. Here are some
things I learned about barriers other than filters:
1. Quota Time--many filters go beyond content filtering and limit how
long users can say on sites. Very common is putting this into place for
shopping sites, though some people had trouble across the board. The
shopping site issue causes problems with people trying to work online
with vendors.
2. Denying use of search tools---In some schools, students are never
allowed to use a search engine. Instead they must ALWAYS work from
prescribed lists. One situation included the rule that only tech
personnel could OK sites for the approved list. This is less common but
concerning, because it means students are not learning how to conduct a
smart search.
3. Interpreting "educational use" in a very narrow fashion. Most AUP's
say that students should use the Internet only for educational
use...this can be over-enforced in my opinion...
4. Outlawing certain types of  sites--games is a good example. Many
districts cannot use any site that has games, even if they are
educational, such as math games and even if bandwidth is not the
problem. At least one school tried to ban all sites that had dot.com in
the URL.
5. Outlawing Internet altogether. This is rare, admittedly, but it is
happening in some situations. This fact causes me to believe people need
to be aware, because trends sometimes have a way of spreading.

People provided me with specific examples of all of the above types of
restrictions. My greatest concerns are that students will not learn to
evaluate websites or conduct smart searches. Then when they go home they
may be even more likely to think everything on the Internet is safe and
accurate. After all, it is that way at school...

--
"Try curiosity!"  Dorothy Parker