Dear Netters;

I am sorry to tell you that today, while I was proctoring our 9th grade
Standards-Based Assessment exam, the principal came to the library and
had my aide turn over to him all the 3X3 Eyes books we have in our
collection.  Not knowing any better, she gave them to him.  He then took
them to our Central Office and had a meeting with the superintendent,
who decided they should be removed from the shelves.  I had no voice in
this whatsover.  I have since informed the principal, AGAIN, that we
have a formal policy in place about how this has to happen and that even
the superintendent can't bypass that process.  So now we're supposed to
have a meeting where apparently I will be told why the books were
removed and that I just have to live with it.  I have no intention of
just living with it.  I explained to my principal why we have such a
policy in place and that is for our protection and to protect the right
of free speech and freedom of information.  I suspect I will be faced
with allowing this action or being fired.  To those of you who wrote and
said I didn't know who had been in my office and that there hadn't been
a challenge, you were wrong.  I  DID know and there HAD been a
challenge.  The principal just didn't require that parent to go through
the right channels.   I intend to contact ALA and probably the ACLU if
they insist on circumventing our board-approved policy.  Wish me luck.

Marian Royal
Librarian
Socorro High School\
Socorro, NM