As requested, the titles I received were:

The idea of the school wide read is now going before the campus leadership
team.  They may decide to spend the money on another area such as much
needed computers or network printers.

  I had not read The Cat in the Candle Factory or The World According to
Humphrey.  I agree with the difficulty of selecting one book for such a wide
range of readers.  I obtained a copy of The Cat in the Cradle and can see
many possibilities with it.  I also enjoyed Betty Birney's World according
to Humphrey; however, I think this book would be hard to use with the lower
children since it has several chapters. I won't know until the leadership
team (I am a member of the team!) meets and votes later this month.

As requested, the titles I received were:

Because of Winne Dixie

The BFG by Roald Dahl

The Cat in the Candle Factory

A Fine Fine School by Sharon Creech

Frindle

The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein

Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry (twice)

Hooray for Diffendoofer Day by Dr. Seuss

Martin's Big Words

The Stinky CheeseMan and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka

The World According to Humphrey by Betty Birney

Our district is currently participating in its 2nd annual One Book, One
Community reading program.   Last year we had one book for ages 5 - adult
and this year decided to modify that.  We are now using 3 different books,
one for ages 5 to 2nd grade, one for 3rd-5th graders and another for 6th
grade and up.  The book for our 3rd-5th graders would work well for you.  We
are using Frindle by Clements and the kids are really enjoying the book.  As
I librarian, I really like that we picked an author that has many other
titles the kids can read independently after our reading program is over.
Here's a link to some book info:
http://www.frindle.com/about.html

Don't forget about nonfiction - I just read the 10 Charlotte nominees for
NYS (for grades K-2) and the students were sad K-5 that there was only one
nonfiction book. I don't know if Texas has a similar Children's choice
voting award - but you might look on that list. The older students in 4-5
enjoyed hearing a book that had pictures and only a few put on the
evaluation that the books were "too easy". I haven't tallied the vote yet -
I'll send you their top pick of those books when I do.

Thank you to all who sent me suggestions.

Sandy Scroggs
sscroggs@satx.rr.com (personal email)

Sandy Scroggs Librarian
Schenck ES
San Antonio, TX
sscroggs@saisd.net (professional email)

All messages scanned by Norton Internet Professional 2004.