I've been mentoring a couple of "new librarians" in their new job situations and
just recently I saw something that was a little disturbing.  One librarian was
working with a group of high school students when another librarian (who had been
there for a while and who plans to retire in a few years) interrupted the process
of instruction and began doing her own thing.

While the new librarian wasn't doing anything wrong, I was amazed that the older
librarian was brazen enough to take control of a situation that was not hers....she
did not arrange for the class instruction, she did not prepare for the class
instruction, she just showed up and began to interrupt and teach.

In addition to this situation, I also met with my second "newbie" and she told me
that she was working with other librarians in her district on a project that would
be beneficial for all of them (and the students within the district).  She told me
that they worked together formulating the ideas but when it came time to do the
work, she was doing everything by herself---including work after hours, during the
weekends, and at home.  She was very discouraged with the TEAM effort that left her
alone doing it all.  In fact, the librarians who did not help even presented
themselves as being the ones who DID the work when it came time for the program to
launch, leaving her alone and tired (like Cinderella, I asked?).  She was
completely frustrated and very upset because these librarians (I have met the
majority of them), are older and also near retirement--within 5 years or so.

Both librarians recently emailed me about their frustrations and I wondered if
other (newbie) librarians---or newbies to their schools---have found the same types
of problems with other librarians who might be working in their districts /
schools?  Are you working alone on many projects and then finding that others take
the credit for your work?  How do you handle this?

I'm trying hard to find a way to help these girls, but I'm afraid this is a selfish
situation on the part of the librarians who are older---are they just lazy, tired,
or being thoughtless?

Your ideas?  I'll post a HIT if anyone is interested (or in the same boat).  I am
just wanting to share your ideas and suggestions with these two ladies before they
give up on librarianship all together.

Thanks!

~Shonda

Shonda Brisco, MLIS
US / Technology Librarian
4200 Country Day Lane
Fort Worth Country Day School
Fort Worth, TX
817.732.7718 ext. 339

"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible and suddenly you are doing
the impossible."
 ~St. Francis of Assisi
sbrisco@fwcds.org
http://www.fwcds.org/campus/libraries/default.asp