Hi all,
I'm hoping some of you can help me with a problem.
Our primary school (ages 5-11) is having their bi-annual School Production
this year, in which the entire school takes part, and individual classes
present items.
Our school has a major literacy focus this year, and the Production theme
has been chosen to tie in with this - we are calling it 'Just Imagine' and
it's about a boy who doesn't enjoy reading being introduced to a number of
books (ie Charlotte's Web, Magic School Bus, Jungle Book etc) by the school
librarian, the idea being that the stories will 'come alive' with a small
excerpt performed by the class.
Anyway, as part of the decorating of the school hall, we want to include a
number of great quotations about books, libraries, and reading in general,
which will be reproduced on signs to be hung on the walls.
So far we have "Children are made readers on the laps of their parents", a
quote from Emilie Buchwald, and I'd also like to use "Imagine a day when a
book swings open on silent hinges, and a place you've never seen before
welcomes you home", from 'Imagine a Day' by Sarah Thompson. This is the kind
of thing we're after - to inspire, stir the imagination and get the message
across to students and parents that reading is an enriching and pleasurable
activity for them both.
If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them - preferably with the
author and source supplied so we can acknowledge them.
Please reply to me at either of the addresses below, and thanks in advance!

Judith

Judith McGhie, Librarian
Boulcott Primary School, Lower Hutt, New Zealand

jfmcghie@hotmail.com
or
library@boulcott.school.nz

Need a new job? Check out XtraMSN Careers http://xtramsn.co.nz/careers