This is my first year as a librarian and I discovered that we had some few
teachers who helped themselves to anything they wanted . . . power strips, cables,
laptops and lcd projectors . . . you name it, it walked off and, in the case of one
laptop, didn't come back. Most of the keys in our building are masters of one sort
or another, so keeping things under lock and key was a problem.

So . . . without asking anyone (amazing what you can get away with your first year)
I went to Lowes and bought a $20 double cylinder deadbolt lock set and put it on
the back room where all the goodies live. I already had five keys cut: 1 for me, 3
for the admins and one for the district maintenance head who has to have access to
everything for audits. The janitor didn't get one and didn't want one, so no one
can bug him and all my stuff stays safe. The maintenance head even gave me a pat on
the back for knowing to include him in the key giveaway and no one has complained
at all.

Shannon D. Wham, Librarian
Bell Street MS
600 Peachtree St.