I realize I am in the minority and I fully understand the value of summer
reading lists, but not all lists are created equal and I am soooo glad that
I went to school when I did. No summer reading lists. I lived for the first
day of vacation so my friend and I could go to the library and start signing
out books that we "wanted" to read as opposed to those we "had" to read all
year. I went to an academic school and we had papers over vacations. They
had them due the second day back. (They didn't fool us!) I was an English
Lit major so I read heavy stuff all year and wanted to get to the books I
saw reviewed in magazines or just those in the library I never had time for.
I read all the Anne of Green Gable books one summer and had to get
permission for the Avonlea book because sixth graders weren't allowed to go
to that section.
I like the idea of one literary maybe, or a long list and pick
two....leaving the rest of the summer for the readers to cut loose.
Just think, you would have to be 22 before you would have time to read
something not assigned. Oh yes, the colleges have lists too.
Just a vent.....my school has reading lists and I don't always love the
choices. Do any of you get input? Here the reading department does it and I
don't think they keep up on the newest books. We get no say.
Now I cannot wait for the list of books recommended by the members for our
own summer reading.. I have found some great reading on this list=serve.
jean r rowan LMS, retired
Downey Community School
Brockton MA 02302
bjrowan@comcast.net