Thank you to Trish, Garth, Amy, Janet, Darlene, Brenda, and Alice for your
help on where to find data to support SSR time. With the end-of-the-year
frenzy, I have not had time to finish my research, but below are the

Jim Trelease had some comments on how important SSR is.
http://www.trelease-on-reading.com/default.html
See Stephen D Krashen: 88 Generalizations about Free Voluntary Reading
http://www.sdkrashen.com/handouts/88Generalizations/index.html

Best data I can direct you to is:

Krashen, S. (2004). The power of reading, 2nd edition: Insights from
the research. Westport, CT: Libraries Unlimited.

My favorite page (x of the introduction) of the sums up the whole book.
The earlier edition of this book was 1993, and you probably want the
newer edition.

Jim Trelease's The Read Aloud Handbook also has some data. Make sure you get
the latest edition--it's in at least it's fifth printing.

Not sure about the time/ minutes issue but try Richard Allington's book What
Really Matters for Struggling Readers.

I don't know about specific research but I know Jim Trelease gives specific
examples in his book (The Read Aloud Handbook) and I believe on his web site
as well - http://www.trelease-on-reading.com. In his presentations, he talks
about a school in NJ (I think that's where it was) that started with SSR
once a week and eventually moved to every day. He shows test scores (they
were at the bottom of the district before they started SSR) and how much
they improved over time.

I read an article about a school in San Diego that improved test score from
SSR time. I don't know the name of the article or where it was, maybe there
is some info on the www.reading.org websire from Internat'l reading
association. The San Diego article wasn't written too long ago - maybe a
year of two. Sorry I can't remember the title, maybe someone else will have
seen it.

Carol F. Wirwa, Librarian
Crockett County Middle School
497 N. Cavalier Drive