Date:    Sun, 30 Apr 2006 12:30:13 -0500
From:    Shonda Brisco <sbrisco@FWCDS.ORG>
Subject: Re: GEN: Censorship of Mural

This is also another example of an attempt to create "vanilla history"---- =
when we "paint over" the historical significance and powerful words, we =
make everything acceptable for everyone.  No one feels the pain, sorrow, =
hurt, or embarrassment.  No one is able to understand the significance of =
the art, to understand the words that have endured throughout time, or to =
apologize for years of inhumanity to man.  We cannot teach lessons we have =
already learned because others want us to forget those lessons....so we =
continue to make the same mistakes again.

If your mural is gone on Monday, this is definitely a slap in the face of =
the artist, the historical significance of the work and the words, and =
another attempt by one person (or group) to make issues that ARE difficult =
to remember insignificant within our history.  The mural promotes our =
growth both as a nation and as individuals.  For one person (or group) to =
refuse others the opportunity to reflect, remember and discuss, it is =
CENSORSHIP.

I'm hoping your mural is there on Monday....and that you contact "powerful =
groups" to help you maintain your right to share our history with others.

"those who do not remember the past are doomed to repeat it"---Santayana

~Shonda