 I just had to add to this - I am also in charge of textbook signout and one
of my tasks this spring has been to weed the bookroom of old and unused
textbooks.  We recycle old books and on Monday we had stacks and stacks of
them.  I called the custodian and showed him which carts were for recycling
and which were not.  The two carts that were not were full of brand new
library books and some irreplaceable art books.  You can probably see what's
coming.  Well, I turned around and the next thing I know is that ALL the
books were gone!  To paraphrase Bart Simpson, I was having the proverbial
cow.  The custodian's first response was, 'well, they are in the recycling
bin now'.  My slight 'freak out' at him as a result, convinced him that we
should do something about it.  I had never gone dumpster diving before, but,
much to the amusement of all the teenagers standing around watching, I
climbed right in and dug through all the recycling until we had most of the
books back.  Unfortunately some of the kids had already been there so those
books are, alas, gone forever.  Thank goodness I noticed so quickly what had
happened because just as we were rolling the two carts away from the
recycling dumpster, the big truck came and emptied the recycling and drove
away!

Diane Gallagher-Hayashi
Teacher-librarian
Stelly's School
SD63 (Saanich)
Saanichton, B.C.
Canada, V8M 1S8

Diane_Hayashi@sd63.bc.ca
daichan@shaw.ca

Library Anecdote:
Patron: "I am looking for a globe of the earth."
Librarian: "We have a table-top model over here."
Patron: "No, that's not good enough. Don't you have a life-size?"
Librarian: (pause) "Yes, but it's in use right now."