Thanks to Nancy and all who replied to my question. I had to read the
preferences (have a Mac) to make this work in my version of Word, but
I knew that there was a way to do this. A friend of mine has written
a 210 page novel and I am trying to get a quick and dirty reading
level. I had already counted the words.
Thanks to all who replied (and if any one knows the best way to
approach a publisher for a book that will appeal to boys
(intermediate to middle school) that has a reading level of 3.8
(approximate), please let me know off list.) My friend has already
purchased  Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market.
Deb Hendrickson

Deborah J. Hendrickson
Teacher-Librarian & Technology Leader
Westernport Elementary School