From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Sara J. Reinders
Sent: Thursday, November 02, 2006 7:45 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: TARGET: Quick, simple, and foolproof fine receipts

Does anyone have quick, simple, and foolproof way to document that a
student definitely paid a library fine?

Here's the (age-related?) problem I'm having:  Sometimes when things get
hectic at the check-out desk, I miss the step of clearing the fine out
of the patron's record in Follett.  So then they get another fine notice
the next week, and they come in and remind me that they already paid -
"remember, Miss Reinders?  Alex was with me, and we had to hurry because
we had to get to band ... "  Usually I do remember if they give me
enough details.  Actually, I always give them the benefit of the doubt,
whether I remember or not, but I've had 2 "I have absolutely no memory
of this kid paying" incidents in 2 days, and am starting to wonder
whether word is getting around that I'm a softie with a bad memory.  (In
all fairness to myself, we had book fair last week, so I was somewhat
more distracted than usual.)

The last thing I need is another step in the fine payment process.
Remember, my basic problem is that I'm already skipping over the very
simple step Follett built into their program!  I was thinking of keeping
a notebook for students to sign and date when they paid their fines -
that way I'd at least have proof they were there, and could go back
through the pages and check against my Follett records when things
slowed down.  Has anyone tried that, or have you found another workable
solution?  Or do I just need to work harder on remembering that step?

Thanks,

Sara Reinders, LMS
Ada Christian School
Ada, MI