Good Morning Everyone!

All this talk about Accelerated Reader has caught me in the middle of a
situation myself.  We are an AR school, but primarily the elementary
students are the ones utilizing the program.  We are trying to include the
Kindergarten and First Graders in the program this year and things have gone
fairly well, but we are trying to set up a structure by which the teachers
can know on a regular basis who is ready to test and who is not.  For the
younger kids, I suggested a "star" or some other shape that would be
returned by the parent each time their student had finished their book and
was ready to test.  We've also used a log where parents would simply check
mark a box on the reading log, but teachers don't always get to the logs
first thing in the morning and then they feel behind when several students
are asking to test.

I thought about enclosing each Kindergarten book in a clear bag that the
student would carry allowing any visual cue we decide on to be the marker of
those students ready to test, but I wanted to check with you all to see what
your schools are doing.  I'm sure you've got some incredible ideas and
systems in place and I would love to hear about them...even the ones you're
using for the older kids.  Are the older kids coming to test in your
libraries or do they test in the classrooms and computer labs using the
library only for book selection?  All brilliant ideas are greatly
welcomed...and since those are the only kind that you have...I'll be in
great shape!

Thanks so much!

"If you really want something in this life you have to work for it.  Now
quiet, they're about to announce the lottery numbers."

          --Homer Simpson

Tina Cline
Life School Library

Dallas, Texas