Thanks to everyone who wrote providing advise about my IE browser homepage being
hijacked to display msn.com as my homepage instead of sbc.yahoo.com

  Several told me to go into Internet Options in IE's Tools menu and change the url
for the homepage to what I want it to be.  I do do that, all the time, but the
homepage keeps changing itself back.

  Several told me to dump IE and use Firefox instead.  I do have Firefox and do
prefer to use it for most stuff, but my husband prefers IE.  Also, the MSN games
will not play on Firefox, and to be honest, I am seriously addicted to Word Mojo
and Combo Chaos.

  Solution (sort of, seeing that the problem is still happening, but at least now I
know why)

  Anyway, It turns out that my Spysweeper software is resetting it.  I am awaiting
them to send me instructions to fix this problem via email.  However, if it is
anywhere as arcane and difficult to comprehend as their last tech ticket was, I
guess I will just have to learn to live with it until my Spysweeper subscription
expires in October of 2007.

  Last summer, Webroot wheeled out a major update of Spysweeper.  It has been a
nightmare.  What used to be an unobtrusive program that ran benignly & efficiently
in the background was turned into the program from hell.

  I now only use it once or twice a week to do a full sweep and then turn it off. I
have to keep it turned off during Daily use or the following happens continuously:

  1. Browsers and applications (IE, Firefox, Word, etc.) suddenly display that
"(not responding)" note up in the title bar
  2. extremely slow system performance
  3. now, with the latest update, IE homepage hijacking and then screen freezing
when I try to change it manually in the Tools--Internet Options menu
  4. constant "This application has experienced an error and must close" messages,
causing me to lose everything I had been working on.
  5. Screen freeze-ups that mean that the only way to make them go away is to turn
off the computer from the power button in the front instead of being able to shut
down and/or reboot the correct way.

  If you have been considering buying Spysweeper, I strongly suggest you
reconsider.  Because I have to keep the utility turned off, my computer is not
being protected.  Then, when I run a full scan, it keeps saying it found nothing,
but I often return to my computer after a few hours away to find adware ads
displayed on the screen.  So, obviously my computer does have adware on it that
Spysweeper is not finding.

  Although, I still do like Webroot's Window Washer program.  They refuse to refund
my money, so I'll keep it another year, but I will not be renewing.

Dawn Sardes
Teen Services Librarian
Euclid Public Library
Euclid, OH
yayagoddess@sbcglobal.net.omit.this
Check out my Harry Potter Fan Fiction at
http://www.fanfiction.net
Pen Name: YaYa Goddess