I got a request from a mildly annoyed librarian
to let her know where I was going to be speaking
for BER this year. On the BER website
(www.ber.org), you can click on any state and
find out about all of the seminars scheduled there
for the rest of the school year, but you can't get
a list of one person's speaking engagements,
which can indeed be annoying. FYI,
I've just (at long last) updated the calendar on my
website (www.JudyReadsBooks.com), and you can
now see all 40+ dates there.

Several librarians have e-mailed me recently to find
out if they could just get my new BER Handbook for
this year's seminars. BER doesn't sell them, but you
can get the Winners! Handbook (which is actually a
bit bigger since it includes all the past year's prize
winners) from Libraries Unlimited (www.LU.com)
that goes with my Winners Conference in NJ each
spring. You can still get last year's, with the 2005
best books, but the new one with this year's 2006
titles won't be out until the end of April. In the
meantime, my columns in School Library Media
Activities Monthly and on NoveList K-8
(which is the EBSCO on-line service you either
subscribe to at your library or access from your
public library's website), and in the Fall issue
of SLJ's Curriculum Connections (which you can
access at:
<www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6378376.html>)
are full of my recent favorite read-aloud books.

I'm heading out for my first BER week on Nov. 13
(for which I am rushing around the house, packing
up my two book-stuffed 50-lb. suitcases)--to
Charleston and Columbia, SC, and then Augusta,
Macon, and Atlanta, GA. If you're from there,
please spread the word. And if you're coming
to one of the seminars, be sure to come on up
and say hi. Since this will be a driving week instead
of a flying week for me, I'll actually get to eat
dinner each night, which is very exciting. If
you have any great restaurant recommendations
(especially Augusta, where I've not been before),
'm hungry for them. (Actually, if you see I'm
coming to a city near you and you want to share
your favorite hot spot restaurant, I'm all ears!)

I always list my 100+ favorite titles, grades PreK-6,
for the year on Titlewave.com, and that list will
be going up by Thanksgiving, I hope. For 2006,
I chose 121 books. To find last year's lists, log in,
click on the Curriculum tab at the top; look on the
left and then, under Browse Other Book Lists,
click on Popular Subject Lists. You'll see me listed
alphabetically under J, for Judy Freeman.

One other cool piece of news. For those of you who
have never seen my Books Kids Will Sit Still For series,
Libraries Unlimited has just started selling all three
hardback books as a bundled set for a great price--
you save $54, which is 30%. Amazon and
barnesandnoble.com also have the set available
now at the same price. And they don't charge shipping,
which, for 10 pounds worth of books, is a great thing.

Judy Freeman
Children's Literature Consultant
"Wild About Books" columnist,
School Library Media Activities Monthly
Author of the all new Books Kids Will Sit Still For 3
(Libraries Unlimited, 2006; www.LU.com)
65 North Sixth Avenue
Highland Park, NJ 08904
732-572-5634 / BKWSSF@aol.com