This week I asked three questions regarding internet access/filtering in
schools. I received around 50 responses. Here are questions and results:

1. Do you have one-size-fits-all filtering where access is same for lower
grades and for high school seniors? All but three people said their access
was the same for all levels.

2. Who decides internet filtering settings and sets policies for
use—EVERYONE said tech director and/or staff had the most power. In 5
instances, there were committees in place that worked toward consensus. All
others said the power was in the hands of technology. In about 3 cases, all
from smaller districts, the superintendent took personal interest.

3. Do librarians have any input about policies? 25 people said NO. 5 said
yes, and in all five cases, committees were in place.

What have I learned?

   1. Technology committees are invaluable. Librarians must join. If no
   committees exist, and access is lacking, librarians should work to get them
   in place.
   2. Sadly, a lot of people are afraid to speak out about Internet
   policies for fear of losing ground or going out on a limb. In one instance,
   a librarian reported a very positive situation where improved access was
   achieved through committee. The committee even included students, which I
   though was great. But this person is not comfortable being quoted. It seems
   that there is a new superintendent and if he learned that access was so
   reasonable, and kids had a voice, he might clamp down.
   3. Some people want to take me to task for saying we should allow
   internet searching at all. I have been told I am not conscious of what it is
   like to be in "the real world," since I teach at the university level. I
   would like to point out that as recently as 2000, I was a practicing
   librarian in a junior high in a very conservative Texas county, Montgomery
   County/Conroe ISD. My district had reasonable Internet access. I had around
   1000 students, 24 computers on main floor plus attached lab, and very high
   print circulation. The library was a very busy place, and still is. I did
   allow Internet searching, but stressed that students should first use print,
   then subscription databases, THEN supervised net searching as needed. I was
   always on the floor when kids were searching the net, and very watchful. I
   had computers arranged so that I could see all screens. This worked for me
   then and I firmly believe it would still work for me.

Thanks to everyone for all responses. I have been working on this article
for a long time and do expect to see it in print this spring. I know I have
posted about it more than once, and appreciate your patience and generous
sharing of responses. Also, thanks for your kind words and wishes regarding
my broken wrist and surgery. Today is the first day I have tried to key with
both hands, and I am encouraged to be able to do it, at least for a little
while! I plan to be back on a hiking trail by late December…BUT I will be
using my trekking poles. They were in the car when I fell. If you like to
hike and do not have poles, give them a try! Oh yes and, my Nancy doll is
much better also. Of course her sore arm is still a bit stiff, but then it
always was. Thanks again, Mary Ann

"Try curiosity!"--Dorothy Parker
Dr. Mary Ann Bell
Associate Professor, Library Science